Dana White’s big announcement has been delayed until next Tuesday according to Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer. There is no word on why the announcement has been pushed back or what the announcement actually is. The fact that it has remained this secret for this long either means it’s nothing or it is in fact something huge.
A quick review of the more plausible rumors flying around:
- Anderson Silva is moving up to light heavyweight to fight Chuck Liddell
- Zuffa has sold the UFC to FOX
- New York is sanctioning MMA and the UFC will announce their first event there
- The UFC has landed a network TV deal with FOX or ABC/ESPN (Dana denied)
- Floyd Mayweather has signed a contract to fight in the UFC (Dana denied)
- The WWE has acquired either a majority or minority stake in the UFC. Dana White will remain UFC president with Vince McMahon primarily hands-off in the company. (Dana denied)
- The WWE and Dana White have bought the UFC from the Fertittas (Dana denied)
- Golden Boy Promotions has purchased a stake in the UFC forming a strategic partnership (Dana denied)
- The UFC is going public (Dana denied)
I think that’s it. I wouldn’t read too much into Dana denying many of these rumors over the past few days. He’s not likely to let the cat out of the bag until he’s ready (what company exec ever does?), plus it wouldn’t be the first time. I have a feeling the longer this goes on, the more of a letdown this is going to be. At this point, it’s going to have to be something incredibly big to get any shock value out of it.