EliteXC issues statement on Antonio Silva’s steroid suspension
EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen issued a public statement yesterday in regards to Antonio Silva’s positive test for Boldenone. It appears EliteXC will support Silva in his efforts to prove his innocence.
“We respect the California commission and the job they do. We always enjoy working with them and work very well together. The illegal use of steroids is a problem in all major sports, including mixed martial arts. We certainly do not condone the use of steroids.
“But we also support, trust and have confidence in our fighter, Antonio Silva, who has denied ever taken any illegal substance, including steroids, and is prepared to challenge the results of the California Commission.
“So until all the facts are known and a final decision is rendered, EliteXC will reserve making any further comments at this time.”
This is going to be an uphill battle for Silva. Sean Sherk went to great lengths to prove his innocence with the UFC in his corner. In the end though, he was still found guilty, and the UFC was forced to strip him of the title. Unless Silva is able to provide indisputable evidence that clearly proves he was innocent, which is extremely unlikely, this probably going to turn out the same way the Sherk case did.
Is Sean Gannon in or out against Kimbo?
That’s a good question. Ever since SI.com published a report that stated Sean Gannon was the leading candidate to face Kimbo Slice, numerous reports have surfaced with a conflicting message from Jared Shaw regarding Gannon as a possible opponent for Kimbo Slice. The two latest reports contain quotes from Shaw that completely contradict one another.
When pressed, Shaw said Elite XC began with a list of eight possible opponents. Rogers was on there. So were Thompson, Sean Gannon, Ken Shamrock and other names he won’t divulge. Though earlier this week he said Gannon had been crossed off, Shaw wouldn’t make the same assurance this time around. “He may be on the list,” Shaw said.
“No, Sean Gannon will not be the opponent on Oct. 4,” Shaw stated succintly.
So which is it? Apparently, Shaw doesn’t even know at this point. It sounds like we’ll find out soon enough though.
(Thanks to CagePotato.com for the image)
Eddie Alvarez likely for Nov. 8 Showtime event
Eddie Alvarez, the only fighter to go undefeated in DREAM’s lightweight grand prix, will likely compete next for EliteXC on their Nov. 8 Showtime card, according to a Sherdog.com report. Although KJ Noons’ manager, Mark Dion, claims Alvarez can get “married in five or 10 minutes,” it appears his wedding will prevent him from facing Noons on CBS—a matchup that was never even considered.
A bout between Noons and Alvarez was never under consideration, says Lappen. Alvarez had been a possibility for a separate bout on the Oct. 4 CBS card, but the potent Philadelphian is getting married in September and will likely return for the EliteXC card scheduled for Nov. 8 on Showtime.
It really is too bad Alvarez won’t be available for the CBS card. If you saw compete in the DREAM tournament, you know how exciting of a competitor he is to watch. If you missed it, definitely check out his DREAM fights at Dailymotion. This kid’s a superstar waiting to happen.