The WEC 36 weigh-ins took place today at The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
It appears there were a few fighters—Mike Brown, Paulo Filho, and Rani Yahya—that missed weight today. Brown and Filho have been given two hours to cut to the proper weight. Brown only has half a pound to cut so there shouldn’t be a problem there, however, Filho missed weight by a full seven pounds. Chances are he won’t make weight, so it’s likely that the belt won’t be on the line, although in the grand scheme of things, at least as far as the title is concerned, it doesn’t matter too much since it’s being abolished in 2009 anyways. Yoshiro Maeda has agreed to fight Yahya at 137lbs. We’ll keep you updated on the other two.
The weigh-in results via WEC.tv:
- Mike Brown (145*) vs Urijah Faber (144.5)
- Chael Sonnen (184.5) vs Paulo Filho (189*)
- Leonard Garcia (145.5) vs Jens Pulver (144)
- Nissen Osterneck (184.5) vs Jake Rosholt (185.5)
- Donald Cerrone (156) vs Rob McCullough (155.5)
- Steve Steinbeiss (202) vs Carmelo Marrero (206)
- Rani Yahya (137*) vs Yoshiro Maeda (135)
- Aaron Simpson (184.5) vs David Avellan (185)
- Jonathan Brookins (146) vs Jose Aldo (146)
- Rafael Dias (155) vs Danny Castillo (156)
Fighters in non-title fights are allowed to weigh in one pound over the weight class limit.
Update: On Filho’s second attempt, he weighed in at 189lbs. The fight will now be a three round non-title fight, and Filho will forfeit 25% of his purse to Chael Sonnen. Mike Brown made weight on his second attempt.
WEC 36 will take place tomorrow, Nov. 5, at The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida and will air live on Versus at 8PM ET/5PM PT.