Strikeforce and Showtime’s first installment of ShoMMA Strikeforce Challengers took place last night at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, California. The night’s main event came to an anti-climatic ending when Billy Evangelista was disqualified for landing an illegal knee to what was believed to be Mike Aina’s head.
But was it really illegal? Evangelista doesn’t think so and plans to protest.
“I feel bad at what happened, but I am definitely planning to protest,’’ Evangelista said. “Nothing I did was on purpose. I thought I had timed the knee perfectly and that he was on his feet when it was delivered.’’
I didn’t get a chance to watch the event, so I can’t really comment, but from the looks of the picture, he seems to have a pretty solid case.
Full results after the jump.
- Mike Aina defeats Billy Evangelista via disqualification (Illegal Knee) in Round Two
- Sarah Kaufman defeats Miesha Tate via Unanimous Decision
- Lavar Johnson defeats Carl Seumanutafa via Knockout in Round One
- Aaron Rosa defeats Anthony Ruiz via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in Round One
- Bao Quach defeats Tito Jones via Unanimous Decision
- Ben Holscher defeats Cody Cantebury via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in Round One
- Thomas Diagne defeats Kaleo Kwan via Unanimous Decision
- Fabricio Camoes defeats Torrance Taylor via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in Round One
- Spencer Herns defeats Chad Sutton via Majority Decision