Strikeforce “Lawler vs Shields” took place earlier this evening at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri. The event was broadcast on Showtime.
In the night’s main event, Robbie Lawler and Jake Shields faced off in a catchweight battle.
Brett Rogers took a giant leap up in competition when he faced perennial top ten heavyweight Andrei Arlovski.
Scott Smith and Nick Diaz made a quick turn around from the last Strikeforce event to face off in a catchweight bout.
Phil Baroni looked to get back on track against Joe Riggs in what became a grudge match.
Kevin Randleman returned to action against Mike Whitehead.
Results and thoughts after the jump.
- Jake Shields defeats Robbie Lawler via Submission (Guillotine Choke) in Round One
- Brett Rogers defeats Andrei Arlovski via Knockout in Round One
- Nick Diaz defeats Scott Smith via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in Round Three
- Joe Riggs defeats Phil Baroni via Unanimous Decision
- Mike Whitehead defeats Kevin Randleman via Unanimous Decision
- Jesse Finney defeats Josh Baumgartner via Submission (Kimura) in Round One
- Mike Kyle defeats Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante via Knockout in Round Two
- Booker DeRousse defeats James Wade via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Tyron Woodley defeats Sal Woods via Submission (North-South Choke) in Round One
- Lucas Lopes defeats Scott Ventimiglia via Disqualification (Knee to a Downed Opponent) in Round One
- Pat Benson defeated Dave Cochran via Submission (Armbar) in Round One
Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead: A little better cardio from both fighters would have made this a better fight. Both fighters started gassing in the first round which resulted in a lot of non-action on the ground. Things picked up in the third when Randleman nailed Whitehead with a solid punch sending him to the mat. Thought Kevin was gonna finish him, but couldn’t put it away, and Whitehead went on to win the decision for controlling the majority of the fight.
Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs: Got interrupted too many times during this one to really comment. From what I saw, it definitely looked like Riggs was getting the best of Baroni.
Announcement Break: Strikeforce just announced Gina Carano vs Cris Cyborg and Josh Thomson vs Gilbert Melendez for their August 15 show.
Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith: Did we expect anything different. Nick Diaz and Scott Smith stood in the middle of the cage and threw leather. Smith could only do it for so long though before Diaz took over in the second round peppering Smtih like he was a punching bag connecting with an absurd 120 strikes. It only got worse for Smith in the third when Diaz got his back after a failed takedown and choked him out. Helluva fun fight to watch. Just too bad Smith didn’t have more time to recover from the Radach fight.
Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers: Holy shit. I eat my words. Brett Rogers knocked out Andrei Arlovski, and it happened quick. Anything can happen in this sport and it certainly did tonight. Big setback for Arlovski. Now, Rogers will likely get a title shot against Alistair Overeem. Unbelievable.
Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields: Wow, didn’t see that coming. Jake Shields found out real quick that he wasn’t strong enough to get Lawler to ground. It seemed inevitable that Lawler would pick him apart on the feet and knock him out. Shields had different plans. Lawler has Jake up against the fence, put his arm around his neck, sunk in the guillotine and that was that. Sounds like Jake will stay up in weight for a chance at the middleweight title. With Robbie’s loss, anyone up for Lawler vs Diaz II?
Live gate: TBA
Bonus info courtesy of MMA