FieLDS Dynamite!! 2009 took place earlier this morning in Saitama, Japan. Fight videos above with short recap and results below.
It was an interesting night of fights to say the least.
After a somewhat slow two and a half rounds of fighting and two yellow cards, Minowaman dropped Sokoudjou with a left hook that sent Sok to the mat. The ref immediately jumped in and stopped before Sokoudjou even had the chance to show whether or not he was still coherent enough to continue. A similar early stoppage happened in the Manhoef-Misaki bout. Manhoef dropped Misaki with a thunderous left hook following a flurry of punches that sent Misaki backpedaling to the corner of the ring. Misaki appeared to still have his wits about him, but the ref jumped immediately after he hit the mat.
Alistair Overeem and Gegard Mousasi both cruised to easy victories. Overeem, looking even bigger than he was at the K-1 WGP Finals a few weeks ago, devastated Fujita with a left knee that had Fujita laid out on the side the ring while doctors attended to his right eye before he was carried out on a stretcher. Mousasi proved to be way too much for Gary Goodridge to handle. He quickly put Goodridge on his back and went to work with his ground and pound until the ref finally called it. Goodridge immediately popped up complaining the fight was stopped early, but if you lay in the fetal position only covering up for as long as he did, there really isn’t much to complain about.
KID Yamamoto dropped his second straight fight of the year. Satoshi Ishii finally made his much hyped MMA debut against Hidehiko Yoshida. There’s a lot to be said about experience and Yoshida has a lot more than Ishii. Yoshida came out relaxed and picked apart Ishii in the opening round landing two stunning blows. Ishii showed he has a bit of chin though and recovered. Unfortunately in the second, Ishii inadvertently drilled Yoshida groin with a knee in the clinch halting the action for several minutes. Yoshida was never the same, but was still able to hang on to win a decision. Definitely not the debut Ishii was hoping for.
Shinya Aoki completely threw sportsmanship out the door against Sengoku champ Mizuto Hirota. Early in the first round, Aoki pinned Hirota’s arm behind his back and eventually broke it ending the fight. It was an incredible submission, possibly even rivaling Toby Imada’s inverted triangle for Submission of the Year, but then Aoki proceeded to give Hirota the bird as he laid there with a broken arm. Classy, Aoki. With Aoki’s victory, DREAM broke the 4-4 tie to win the DREAM vs. SRC themed rivalry.
In the main event, Masato finally defeated Andy Souwer in an incredible display of kickboxing from both competitors. Masato is expected to retire following this fight.
- Masato defeats Andy Souwer via Unanimous Decision
- Hidehiko Yoshida defeats Satoshi Ishii via Unanimous Decision
- Shinya Aoki defeats Mizuto Hirota via Submission (Hammerlock) in Round One
- Gegard Mousasi defeats Gary Goodridge via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Alistair Overeem defeats Kazuyuki Fujita via Knockout (Knee) in Round One
- Masanori Kanehara defeats Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto via Unanimous Decision
- Tatsuya Kawajiri defeats Kazunori Yokota via Unanimous Decision
- Hideo Tokoro defeats Jong Man Kim via Unanimous Decision
- Melvin Manhoef defeats Kazuo Misaki via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Akihiro Gono defeats Hayato “Mach” Sakurai via Submission (Armbar) in Round Two
- Michihiro Omigawa defeats Hiroyuki Takaya via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Hiroshi Izumi defeats Katsuyori Shibata via Unanimous Decision
- Ikuhisa Minowa defeats Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou via TKO (Strikes) in Round Three
- Masaaki Noiri defeats Shota Shimada via Unanimous Decision
- Ray Sefo defeats Yosuke Nishijima via Unanimous Decision
- Shota Shimada defeats Katsuki Ishida via Majority Decision
- Masaaki Noiri defeats Hiroya via Unanimous Decision
- Tsukasa Fuji defeats Ryuya Kusakabe via Unanimous Decision