After a month’s worth of rumors and speculation, the UFC has decided to scrap their plans to counter Strikeforce “Nashville” with a live event on April 17.
The long-rumored UFC event expected to counter the promotion’s April 17 CBS offering will not take place, MMA Fighting has confirmed.
Earlier this month, the UFC explored the option, going so far as to inform likely broadcast partner Spike TV that the show was a go, but the company has apparently reversed course, and a Spike source said the network has been told by the UFC that the show is no longer happening.
Now, it appears Strikeforce will air its anticipated show pitting three title fights free of live competition, though the Spike source said it’s likely the UFC will at least air a prior pay-per-view event on Spike. A decision on that programming has yet to be made.
While the rumored card seemed like a definite go at one point, that quickly became more and more questionable as the days and weeks passed without a single solid fight announcement. It’s unknown why the UFC ultimately decided to scrap it, but the trouble they had lining up a solid headliner was probably one of the major factors.
Strikeforce and CBS have to be relieved by the news. Even with the flexibility to move their event to April 24, they decided to stick it out on the 17th. Ticket sales are apparently going well and CBS started airing five and 10-second promos today during March Madness.