It appears Shinya Aoki isn’t the only high-profile Japanese mixed martial artist Strikeforce is bringing stateside this year. According to MMA Fighting, Kid Yamamoto will be crossing the Pacific in May to fight on Strikeforce’s “Heavy Artillery” card.
Japanese star Kid Yamamoto is expected to make his Strikeforce debut on May 15 against Federico Lopez. The fight is not officially signed, but sources say it is close. The fight would be contested at 135 pounds. As of right now, the fight isn’t expected to air on Showtime.
Of course, this would be a much bigger deal if Kid Yamamoto’s stock hadn’t fallen off a cliff last year (remember when Yamamoto vs. Faber was the little guy’s version of Fedor vs. Lesnar?), but who knows, maybe KID will be able to reclaim some of his lost glory here in the US.
MMA Fighting also got the inside scoop on how Strikeforce’s summer cards are shaping up.
Strikeforce St. Louis “Heavy Artillery” (May 15, Showtime)
- HW Championship: Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers (official)
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva (official)
- Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Joey Villasenor (tentative)
- Antwain Britt vs. Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante (tentative)
- Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro vs. Lyle Beerbohm or Mitsuhiro Ishida (tentative)
- Roger Gracie vs. Kevin Randleman (tentative)
- Kid Yamamoto vs. Federico Lopez (tentative)
Strikeforce in LA (June 16, Showtime)
- Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. Robbie Lawler (tentative)
- Bobby Lashley vs TBD (tentative)
Strikeforce in San Jose (June 26, ???)
- Fedor Emelianenko vs. Fabricio Werdum (tentative)
- Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos vs. TBD (tentative)
Strikeforce ??? (August, Showtime)
- No fights yet
One final note, Sherdog is reporting that Gegard Mousasi has re-signed with Strikeforce. He’ll remain with the organization for at least two more years fighting a minimum of four times.