Despite weighing in at a questionable 305 lbs., Big Tim Sylvia didn’t make this blogger look like an ass. “World’s Strongest Man” Mariusz Pudzianowski proved to be no match for the former UFC heavyweight champion at Moosin MMA in Worchester, Massachusetts earlier this evening. Pudzianowski started the fight with a head of a steam, but quickly ran out of gas trying to take Sylvia down in the opening minutes of the fight. Pudzianowski landed a few leg kicks, a couple punches, scored a takedown and even attempted an armbar, but failed to mount any significant offense throughout the fight as Sylvia eventually bullied him around the cage landing punches and knees from the Muay Thai clinch. Pudzianowski managed to survived the first round, but had nothing to offer in the second. A little over a minute into the second, Sylvia landed a few punches (not to be confused with knockout blows) and Pudzianowski collapsed in exhaustion. Sylvia jumped on top, worked his way to side mount and made Pudzianowski tap to strikes.
Sylvia certainly looked better tonight than he looked against Fedor Emelianenko or Ray Mercer, but considering the inexperience of his opponent, that’s not saying a whole lot. At 300+, Tim is even more lumbering than usual. If he’s serious about returning to the big leagues, he needs to drop the weight, get back in shape and at least pretend like he’s taking his career seriously again.
I haven’t seen it yet, but word is the women’s fight between Roxanne Modafferi and Tara LaRosa was really good. Some are even calling it Fight of the Year and maybe even the greatest women’s fight of all time.
MMA Junkie has a full recap of the event. Results and fight video after the jump.
- Tim Sylvia defeats Mariusz Pudzianowski via Submission (Strikes) in Round Two
- Travis Wiuff defeats Josh Barnes via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Rafael Natal defeats Travis Lutter via Knockout in Round One
- Mike Campbell defeats Yves Edwards via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Roxanne Modafferi defeats Tara LaRosa via Split Decision (30-27, 29-28, 28-29)
- Lukasz Jurkowski defeats Ho Jin Kim via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Forrest Petz defeats Ralph Johnson via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
Image via Sherdog