Bellator 21 took place earlier this evening at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida. Toby Imada and Pat Curran met in the lightweight tournament finals, and #1 ranked women’s fighter, Megumi Fujii, made her Bellator debut against Sarah Schneider. Results and recap after the jump.
Pat Curran, the unlikely lightweight who booted Roger Huerta out of the lightweight tournament, edged out Toby Imada with a controversial split decision in the final match. I missed the fight, but most felt Imada won the first and Curran won the third. The second round is where things get a little hazy, resulting in another decision that’s bound to leave a bad taste in many people’s mouths. Curran wins $100,000 and moves on face Bellator lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez in the promotion’s third season which kicks off in August. In the night’s co-main event, Megumi Fujii, a submission expert and widely ranked #1 P4P women’s fighter, scored her 20th win with her first-ever TKO over Sarah Schneider in the third round. Fujii will enter Bellator’s 115 lbs. women’s tournament as the heavy favorite in season three.
- Pat Curran defeats Toby Imada via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Megumi Fujii defeats Sarah Schneider via TKO (Punches) in Round Three
- Mike Hayes defeats Steve Banks via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Luis Palomino defeats Jose Figueroa via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Zach Makovsky defeats Eric Luke via Submission (Kimura) in Round Two
- Frank Carrillo defeats Sabah Homasi via TKO (Strikes) in Round Three
- Moyses Gabin defeats Chris Boffil via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round One
- Brian Eckstein defeats Mitchell Chamale via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)