PWP’s “War on the Mainland” took place earlier tonight in Irvine, California. The event was headlined by a heavyweight fight between Tim Sylvia and Paul Buentello. Notables Jens Pulver, Thales Leites, Matt Horwich, Terry Martin and Jason Lambert were also in action.
Results and recap after the jump.
Tim Sylvia picked up his most significant win in three years with a TKO stoppage of Paul Buentello late in the second round. From all accounts it was slow, grinding clinch fest until the final seconds when Sylvia dropped Buentello with an uppercut and finished him with strikes from the top. Pedro Rizzo entered the ring following the fight to challenge Sylvia.
Earlier in the night, Jens Pulver recorded his sixth straight loss to Diego Garijo. Garijo hurt Pulver early with a left hand and capitalized by sinking in a tight guillotine choke. Pulver tapped out 68 seconds into the first round. Pulver falls to 1-8 stretching back to his loss to Joe Lauzon at UFC 63 in 2006.
In a middleweight title fight, Matt Horwich outlasted Thales Leites through three rounds before submitting him with a rear-naked choke in the fourth. In a light heavyweight title fight, Tony Lopez crushed Jason Lambert with knees from the Thai clinch to capture the title.
A full recap can be found at MMA Junkie.
- Tim Sylvia defeats Paul Buentello via TKO (strikes) in Round Two
- Terry Martin defeats Jorge Ortiz via Split Decision (28-29, 30-28, 29-28)
- Tony Lopez defeats Jason Lambert via Knockout in Round Two
- Matt Horwich defeats Thales Leites via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round One
- Erin Beach defeats Joao Silva via Unanimous Decision (30-25, 29-28, 29-28)
- Diego Garijo defeats Jens Pulver via Submission (Guillotine Choke) in Round One
- Gustavo Machado defeats Rick Reeves via Split Decision (29-28, 27-30, 30-27)
- Cleber Luciano defeats Todd Willingham via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round Two
- A.J. Matthews defeats Sean Choice via Submission (Strikes) in Round Two