The CSAC has released the fighter salaries for UFC 117. Keep in mind, these figures represent the base contracted pay the fighter receives from the promotion. These figures do not include any additional undisclosed discretionary bonuses, pay-per-view revenue sharing bonuses or sponsorship money, which in many cases exceeds a fighter’s base pay. These numbers also do not account for taxes, insurance, and license fees.
Anderson Silva brought home the biggest bucks in Oakland. With his $200,000 flat fee and extra $120,000 in FOTN and SOTN bonuses, Silva made a disclosed $320,000. That doesn’t include his undisclosed share of the estimated ~1 million pay-view-view buys.
His opponent, Chael Sonnen, who is arguably responsible for the highly successful pay-per-view numbers, earned a total of $95,000 in show and FOTN bonus money. Some would say he deserves a cut of the pay-per-view as well, but in an interview on HDNet’s Fighting Words with Mike Straka, Sonnen said that’s not the case at all.
“I’m not a partner to the UFC. I’m not in on the pay-per-view sales. I get a flat fee. So I’m just not in the job of selling fights. Not only did I not get a piece, I’m not entitled to a piece. Dana White owes me nothing. I’m in debt to Dana White. I want to make the UFC money. The UFC does not owe me a thing. Nothing. I am in debt to them.”
Something tells me Sonnen’s manager will be singing a very different tune when it comes time to extend Sonnen’s contract, as he should.
Other big earners included Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Stefan Struve and Junior dos Santos with $260,000, $108,000, $90,000 and $80,000 respective paydays.
Courtesy of MMA Junkie:
- Anderson Silva: $200,000 (no win bonus)
Chael Sonnen: $35,000
- Jon Fitch: $108,000 ($54k + $54k win bonus)
Thiago Alves: $60,000
- Clay Guida: $56,000 ($28k + $28k)
Rafael dos Anjos: $12,000
- Matt Hughes: $200,000 ($100k + $100k)
Ricardo Almeida: $35,000
- Junior Dos Santos: $80,000 ($40k + $40k)
Roy Nelson: $15,000
- Rick Story: $22,000 ($11k + $11k)
Dustin Hazelett: $18,000
- Phil Davis: $18,000 ($9k + $9k)
Rodney Wallace: $6,000
- Johny Hendricks: $40,000 ($20k + $20k)
Charlie Brenneman: $8,000
- Tim Boetsch: $32,000 ($16k + $16k)
Todd Brown: $6,000
- Stefan Struve: $30,000 ($15k + $15k)
Christian Morecraft: $6,000
- Dennis Hallman: $30,000 ($15k + $15k)
Ben Saunders: $12,000
$60,000 bonus to each fighter.
- Knockout of the Night – Stefan Struve
- Submission of the Night – Anderson Silva & Matt Hughes
- Fight of the Night – Anderson Silva & Chael Sonnen
A disclosed total of $1,329,000, including all bonuses, was paid out to the fighters.