Bellator 34 took place earlier this evening at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida. Hector Lombard put his middleweight title on the line against Alexander Shlemenko. Plus, pound-for-pound queen Megumi Fujii and Zoila Frasto fought for the Bellator 115lb. women’s championship.
Results and recap after the jump.
Hector Lombard successfully defended his Bellator middleweight championship but it didn’t go quite as smooth for him as his last two fights. Lombard came throwing a monsoon of punches and while several landed, they weren’t enough to put Alexander Shlemenko’s lights out like Lombard hoped. Shlemenko weathered the early storm, but unfortunately for him it wouldn’t be enough. Even though Lombard started to fade after the first round, he still managed to take Shlemenko down at will for the rest of the fight to earn the unanimous decision. After the fight, Lombard called out Strikeforce middleweight champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. They now join Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez as the second Strikeforce vs. Bellator championship fight waiting to be booked.
In the 115lb. women’s division, Zoila Frausto handed previously undefeated Megumi Fujii the first loss of her career in a close split decision. Fujii, who has finished 18 of her 22 wins via submission, surprisingly chose to stand and trade with Frausto over the course of five rounds. Despite being the much smaller fighter, Fujii took the center of the cage and used her speed and quickness to move in and out and score points on Frausto. She was effective, but she wasn’t dominant. Frausto fought back and on several occasions she landed huge power shots that clearly stunned Fujii. In the end, it was a close fight, but two of the judges felt Frausto did enough to win the decision. Not sure I agree.
- Hector Lombard defeats Alexander Shlemenko via Unanimous Decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46)
- Zoila Frausto defeats Megumi Fujii via Split Decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46)
- Mike Bernhard defeats Dragan Tesanovic via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Frank Carrillo defeats Moyses Gabin via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Dan Cramer defeats Igor Almeida via TKO (Doctor Stoppage) in Round One
- Raphael Davis defeats Tony Lopez via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- J.P. Reese defeats Bomnay Somchay via TKO (Strikes) in Round One