The UFC is heading back to Abu Dhabi in March for UFC 128, according to a report at MMA Weekly.
The UFC has planned its next trip to the Middle East and it will be UFC 128 on March 19 in Abu Dhabi.
Multiple sources confirmed the booking to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday.
More details about the UFC 128 fight card in Abu Dhabi is sure to come to light in the next few weeks, but as of now the plan is to head back to the Ferrari World Arena where UFC 112 was held in April.
Despite an “embarrassing” main event performance from Anderson Silva at last year’s Abu Dhabi event, it’s no surprise the UFC is returning considering UAE-based Flash Entertainment owns a 10% share of the organization. What would be surprising is if they brought Silva back, but considering he’s defending his title in February there’s no way that’s happening. Another Brazilian champion may headline the event though. Word is the UFC would like Shogun Rua to defend his light heavyweight title against Rashad Evans in the main event, but obviously that will be heavily contingent upon whether not Shogun has recovered from knee surgery in time.
Update: UFC UK president Marshall Zelaznik says Abu Dhabi is not a lock for the UFC’s March pay-per-view.
Zelaznik told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a potential March event, UFC 128, could take place in Abu Dhabi but that it may be held in another city.
“I know there’s been talk of March 19 potentially happening,” Zelaznik told MMAjunkie.com. “While we’re looking at delivering a pay-per-view (event) around that time, nothing’s been defined in terms of whether Abu Dhabi gets it or someone else.”
Zelaznik declined to say what other cities are under consideration for the possible March event.
Zelaznik didn’t confirm nor deny plans for Shogun-Evans to headline the March event.