UFC Fight Night 23 “Fight for the Troops 2″ took place earlier this evening at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas.
In the main event, Melvin Guillard stepped in for Kenny Florian to take on Evan Dunham.
Matt Mitrione met Tim Hague in a heavyweight bout.
Mark Hominick fought for a title shot in a featherweight match-up against George Roop.
Pat Barry looked to bounce back from his loss to Mirko Cro Cop with a win over Joey Beltran.
Cole Miller faced off against Matt Wiman in a lightweight bout.
- Melvin Guillard defeats Evan Dunham via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Matt Mitrione defeats Tim Hague via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Mark Hominick defeats George Roop via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Pat Barry defeats Joey Beltran via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Matt Wiman defeats Cole Miller via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Yves Edwards defeats Cody McKenzie via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round Two
- DaMarques Johnson defeats Mike Guymon via Verbal Submission (Injury from Body Triangle) in Round One
- Rani Yahya defeats Mike Brown via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Waylon Lowe defeats Willamy Freire via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Charlie Brenneman defeats Amilcar Alves via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chris Cariaso defeats Will Campuzano via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Recap & Thoughts
Cole Miller vs. Matt Wiman: Cole Miller acted like a mean-muggin’ Diaz brother during the intros, but he sure didn’t fight like one. Miller spent the majority of the fight on his back enduring a healthy dose of ground and pound from a relentless Matt Wiman. It wasn’t even close.
Pat Barry vs. Joey Beltran: Pat Barry said this fight was going to be like “a sniper vs. a zombie,” and that’s exactly how it played out. Like a sniper, Barry stood back and picked his shots while Beltran took each one and kept coming. Barry pounded Beltran’s lead leg with his lethal brand of leg kicks and nearly took his head off with several leg kicks. It took him three rounds to do it, but at the end of the fight Beltran finally collapsed from the pain in his left thigh. In the post-fight interview, an emotional Pat Barry dedicated the fight to his late father who served in the military and thanked the troops for everything they do for our country.
Mark Hominick vs. George Roop: Mark Hominick earned his title shot against Jose Aldo tonight. He put on a 88 second striking clinic against George Roop. He landed five or six clean punches that clearly rocked Roop before the ref called it after Hominick socked him with the last one. It looked like an early stoppage to me as the ref jumped in while Roop was trying to push Hominick off him with his legs, but when he stoop up he did stumble halfway across the cage so the ref probably just saved him from the inevitable. Either way, highly impressive performance that gives Hominick a little momentum heading into his title fight with Aldo.
Tim Hague vs. Matt Mitrione: Matt Mitrione continues to show improvement each time he steps in the Octagon. He was a little sloppy early against Tim Hague but settled down and dropped Hague with a straight left to the chin. Mitrione pounced and unloaded right hands until Dan Miragliotta stopped it.
Evan Dunham vs. Melvin Guillard: Melvin Guillard brought the heat tonight, wow. Evan Dunham tasted Guillard’s speed and power early and did his best to take it to the mat where Guillard is notoriously weak, but Guillard fought his way back to his feet and made Dunham pay. A quick, clean right hand kicked off what became the fight ending flurry. After a few more punches, Guillard landed a trio of knees (one of them technically illegal) that all but knocked Dunham unconscious. Mario Yamasaki jumped in at that point to save Dunham from taking anymore damage. Guillard then made some very strong statements in the post-fight interview. He said he’s the best lightweight in the UFC, he’s going undefeated in 2011 and he’s going to get a title shot by the end of the year. After his performance tonight against Dunham, I almost believe him.
Submission of the Night: Yves Edwards
Knockout of the Night: Melvin Guillard
Fight of the Night: Yves Edwards & Cody McKenzie
Bonus and gate info via MMA Junkie