Bellator 44 took place earlier this evening at Caesars in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Michael Chandler and Patricky “Pitbull” Freire went to battle in the season four lightweight tournament final for a chance to challenge Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title. In the other featured bout, Bellator middleweight champ Hector Lombard took on Falaniko Vitale in a non-title fight.
Results and recap after the jump.
Eddie Alvarez has a new title contender to get ready for. Michael Chandler rolled on to a unanimous decision over Patricky “Pitbull” Freire to earn the title shot and the $100,000 check for winning the lightweight tournament. Chandler nearly gave the fight away with several groin shots — the last of which cost him a point — but did enough the rest of the fight to take each round on the scorecards for the win.
We’re used to seeing Hector Lombard blast guys in the first seconds of the first round, but it didn’t happen tonight. It was actually a pretty slow fight until the third round when Lombard finally landed a right hook that left Vitale seeing stars.
Geidrius Karavackas made the most of his opportunity to fight on the televised card after a fight was canceled at yesterday’s weigh-ins. After dropping the first round, Karavackas fought his way back and pulled off a rare armlock against Sam Oropeza that would be better explained by the Gracie’s than me.
In the fourth main card fight, Alexander Shlemenko put the pressure on Brett Cooper with spinning backfists and other unorthodox strikes, but Cooper hung tough and fired back with shots of his own in what was one of the most entertaining fights of the night. Cooper showed a lot of heart, but it wasn’t enough to win over the judges who awarded Shlemenko the unanimous decision.
- Michael Chandler defeats Patricky “Pitbull” Freire via Unanimous Decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Hector Lombard defeats Falaniko Vitale via Knockout at 0:54 in Round 3
- Giedrius Karavackas defeats Sam Oropeza via Submission (Scarf-Hold Armlock) at 3:59 in Round 3
- Alexander Shlemenko defeats Brett Cooper via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-28, 29-28)
- Jamall Johnson defeats Randy Smith via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round 2
- Jeff Lentz defeats Anthony Leone via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jay Silva defeats Gemiyale Adkins via Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)