Rather than deal with those Alberta hunting violations on Jan. 19 as initially reported, it looks like Brock Lesnar just said the heck with it and sent his attorney up to Canada to enter a guilty plea for him.
A lawyer for the mixed martial arts star appeared in a Medicine Hat court and pleaded guilty on his client’s behalf to improper tagging of an animal during a hunting trip in November 2010.
Lesnar was fined $1,725 and given a six-month hunting suspension.
Two other charges of leaving meat to rot and illegal possession of wildlife were dropped.
Lesnar, 34, was accused by fish and wildlife officials of shooting a mule deer buck but only packing the trophy head out.
Lesnar may have plead guilty, but that doesn’t mean he actually believes he is guilty. Lesnar told MMA Fighting after the news broke today that he doesn’t believe he broke the law.
“As far as I’m concerned, I didn’t disobey the law,” Lesnar said. “I guess in other people’s judgment, they saw it differently. At the end of the day, if they saw fit that I did something wrong, I’m a grown-up and I’ll take my fine and go on with my life.”
“I’m an excellent hunter. I’ve been hunting since I was five years old, and at the end of the day, for God’s sakes, I don’t waste any meat. If you ever looked at my dinner plate when I was done eating you’d know that.”
Lesnar is surely bummed about having his hunting privileges suspended for six months, but the fine is nothing more than pocket change for him. As Lesnar told The Winnipeg Free Press, he’s just “glad to put this behind [him], so I can focus on [his] fight…December 30.”
On an interesting side note, the whole thing came about because fish and wildlife officials saw that video Fusion Ammo shot of Lesnar carrying a mule deer on his back through the mountains in Alberta last year. That’s what the charges were about.