UFC on FX 1 took place earlier tonight at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. The event airs live on FX at 9pm ET/6pm PT. The FX broadcast was preceded by a prelim special on FUEL TV at 6pm ET/3pm PT.
In the main event, Jim Miller and Melvin Guillard met for a chance to get back in the lightweight title picture.
Duane “Bang” Ludwig took on Josh Neer in a welterweight bout.
Pat Barry looked to end a two-fight losing streak against Christian Morecraft.
Mike Easton took on Jared Papazian in a bantamweight match-up.
Results, recap and bonuses after the jump.
- Jim Miller def. Melvin Guillard via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 2:04 in Round 1
- Josh Neer def. Duane “Bang” Ludwig via Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 3:04 in Round 1
- Mike Easton def. Jared Papazian via Majority Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-29)
- Pat Barry def. Christian Morecraft via Knockout (Punches) at 3:38 in Round 1
- Jorge Rivera def. Eric Schafer via TKO (Punches) at 1:31 in Round 2
- Khabib Nurmagomedov def. Kamal Shalorus via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 2:08 in Round 3
- Charlie Brenneman def. Daniel Roberts via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Fabricio Camoes def. Tommy Hayden via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 4:03 in Round 1
- Daniel Pineda def. Pat Schilling via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 1:37 in Round 1
- Nick Denis def. Joseph Sandoval via KO (Elbows) at 0:22 in Round 1
Pat Barry vs. Christian Morecraft: It seems training with the big boys at Team DeathClutch is really paying off for Pat Barry’s ground game. Barry escaped two of Christian Morecraft’s submission attempts that surely would have finished him earlier in his career to come back late in the first round and destroy Morecraft’s face with a left hook and two big right hands as Morecraft laid defenseless on his back. It was much-needed win for Barry that could earn him a KO bonus check. Barry jokingly apologized in the post-fight interview that it took him “nine getting choked out experiences in order to make that happen.”
Mike Easton vs. Jared Papazian: If you like to watch two dudes punch each other in the face, then you would have loved the show Mike Easton and Jared Papazian put on tonight. Keeping the breakneck pace the bantamweight division is known for, Easton and Papazian stood in front of each other for the majority of the fight and threw down. Neither landed the knockout blow, but both landed plenty of clean strikes. It was a tough fight to score, evidenced by the varying scores, but in the end Mike Easton landed the more memorable shots and took the majority decision.
Duane “Bang” Ludwig vs. Josh Neer: No record setting knockouts for Duane “Bang” Ludwig tonight. He dished out plenty of punishment while Josh Neer worked to take him down, but once Neer got him to the ground it was the beginning of the end. Ludwig worked hard to get back to his feet where he was clearly superior but Neer was able to snatch up a nasty guillotine when Ludwig lunged forward for his legs in a transition. Ludwig refused to tap and briefly went unconscious until referee Josh Rosenthal stepped in and called it.
Jim Miller vs. Melvin Guillard: Despite showing improvement in his ground game in recent years, high level jiu-jitsu did Melvin Guillard in once again. Guillard looked great early. He hammered JIm Miller with flying knees and uppercuts and manhandled him around the cage while Miller just tried to survive. Ultimately, it was the flying knees that led to Guillard’s downfall though. He threw one too many, and even though it connected, Miller was able to time it and take Guillard down. Guillard worked hard to get back to his feet and nearly did as he created enough separation for a scramble, but right when Guillard was about to escape to his feet, Miller jumped on his back and dragged him back down to the mat where he sunk in the fight ending rear-naked choke. It was a big win for Miller that should put him back in the title hunt.
Submission of the Night: Jim Miller
Knockout of the Night: Nick Denis
Fight of the Night: Pat Barry vs. Christian Morecraft