Nick Diaz continues to fight his likely suspension for a failed post-fight drug test after marijuana was found in his system. Diaz, who announced his retirement from MMA after his loss to Carlos Condit, was scheduled to go before the Nevada State Athletic Commission on April 24.
However, according to documents obtained by MMA Junkie’s Steven Marrocco, that won’t happen. The Nevada attorney general said that Diaz won’t have his appeal heard until a medical-marijuana card is shown. The card was previously agreed to for the commission proceedings.
Diaz and his lawyer, Ross Goodman, were looking to get the indefinite suspension thrown out. The basis was a Nevada legislative statue that says the commission must rule on a case within 45 days – which would have been April 6 – or it would become null and void.
Christopher Eccles, Nevada deputy attorney, said that does not apply here because the public health, safety or wellfare is not in danger.
Diaz is currently set to compete in the World Jiu-Jitsu Expo on May 12 against Braulio Estima in a grappling superfight.