Alistair Overeem has lost his spot against UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos for the title. Now, he’s fighting to keep his reputation intact.
Overeem went before the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday seeking a continuance in regards to his failed drug test for elevated levels of testosterone. Overeem’s attorney, David Chesnoff, asked for 45-60 days to clear things up.
In a statement released earlier this week, Overeem admitted to taking medication for an injured rib that had testosterone in it. It was an anti-inflammatory that the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion did not have checked over to make sure testosterone was not present.
The commission, however, ruled to continue with the hearing as planned and not allow for a continuance for Overeem and his legal team.
Chesnoff said Overeem first injured the rib in a win over Fabricio Werdum last year. He’s had troubles with it ever since, including when he defeated Brock Lesnar in his UFC debut late in 2011.
Overeem told the commission that he is not hiding anything in regards to the test, and wouldn’t take something with a prohibited substance knowingly. “The Reem” told NSAC that he would not take any fights or apply for any fight licenses if given a continuance.
We will update this story as soon as the judgement from NSAC has been confirmed. Stay tuned for more.
Photo credit: Dave Mandel/Sherdog