Nate Marquardt and Tyron Woodley made it official Saturday night, as the two welterweights were interviewed during Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier. They will meet on July 14 from Portland, Oregon at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy for the title.
Marquardt has not fought since 2011, as he was removed from a fight with Rick Story due to issues with TRT. After that, the former title-contender in the UFC headed to England, signing with BAMMA. However, Marquardt never fought for the promotion and returned to Strikeforce earlier this year.
“I am so excited,” Marquardt said. “It is truly an honor to be fighting in Strikeforce, especially for the title.”
Woodley is a former standout wrestler who is coming off a victory over Jordan Mein that solidified his status as one of the top welterweights in Strikeforce.
“Nate’s a tough guy, but if you want to wear a belt, you want to win it in a fight that means something,” Woodley said. “It is extremely satisfying to be fighting for the belt.”
The main event of the July 14 card will feature Luke Rockhold defending his Strikeforce middleweight title against Tim Kennedy.
Photo credit: CombatLifestyle.com