Chad Mendes had a different type of training for his upcoming UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen 2 bout with Cody McKenzie.
That’s because Mendes was coming off his first career defeat, a knockout loss to UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo earlier this year.
Now, Mendes is prepared to get back on track and work towards another shot at the title this Saturday night from Las Vegas.
“It was tough, and losing sucks, but I’ve only lost twice in the past five years between MMA and college wrestling,” said Mendes, in a recent interview with FightLine. “It sucks, it’s something I hate, but I am training hard and pushing myself every day to my limit just because I know that I can be the best and I want to win.”
Mendes earned four consecutive decision victories, with wins over Rani Yahya and Michihiro Omigawa, giving him the resume needed to challenge Aldo. However, the reigning champion caught Mendes with a knee and ended his 11-fight run.
“If anything, I think (the loss to Aldo) will help me out in the long run with my confidence,” Mendes said. “Jose Aldo is one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, and honestly, I felt like I was handling him in that first round and holding my own.”
McKenzie is 13-2 in his career, including a recent submission victory over Marcus LeVesseur.
Photo credit: Sherdog