UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is “penciled in” for the year-end special, according to UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta.
“There is no contract but that’s what we have penciled in my office,” said Fertitta, in an interview with ESPN.
That means a challenger for dos Santos is still to be determined. Both Alistair Overeem and Cain Velasquez have been mentioned, but Overeem is currently suspended until December 27. That would leave him two days to be reinstated by the Nevada Athletic Commission, which says they do not plan on holding an early hearing for Overeem.
“I don’t think there is any truth to that and I would be against (an early hearing),” Keith Kizer said. “That is now how our rules read.”
Dos Santos has made a plea to fight Overeem after some of the statements “The Reem” has released in regards to him. Velasquez, however, was called the next contender by UFC president Dana White earlier this year, but nothing has been made in terms of a fight date for the two.
Photo credit: Esther Lin/MMA Fighting