Alistair Overeem lost his chance to face UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos.
Earlier this year, Overeem was suspended due to a failed drug test. Now, as he continues to show the Nevada Athletic Commission that he is a clean fighter, Overeem wants nothing more than to face dos Santos as soon as possible.
“I think he’s afraid to fight me. He was happy that the last fight on May 26 didn’t happen. I approached him at the UFC Fighter Summit in Vegas and said, ‘let’s do it.’ He suddenly acted like he didn’t understand English and how he wants to fight Cain (Velasquez) first,” said Overeem, during a recent appearance on UFC Tonight. “Give me and the fans what they want. I would welcome that fight and want it to happen.”
Overeem added that he is working closely with the Nevada Athletic Commission and doesn’t expect any problems when it comes to re-acquiring his license. He is eligible to do so late in December.
Photo credit: Dave Mandel/Sherdog