Carlos Condit never informed the UFC he would not defend his interim welterweight title. The truth is, according to Condit, the promotion never asked him to accept any fight other than Georges St-Pierre.
The two will collide this Saturday night in the main event of UFC 154 from Montreal, with the winner exiting the Bell Centre as the unified champion.
“The UFC never offered me or my management team another fight,” said Condit, during a recent press conference. “They made it clear they wanted me to fight Georges.”
Condit defeated Nick Diaz earlier this year to secure the interim title after it was determined that GSP would miss even more time with a knee injury. While he didn’t say if he would have turned down another match if offered, St-Pierre was always the opponent “The Natural Born Killer” wanted next.
“Personally, Georges is the guy I wanted to fight. I’ve looked up to him in the sport and I’ve wanted to that status for a very long time,” Condit said. “Georges is the best in the world, I want to be the best in the world, so I have to fight Georges.”
Photo credit: Esther Lin/MMA Fighting