It’s been nearly a year since Anthony Pettis stepped foot inside the Octagon.
Pettis, who missed the bulk of 2012 due to surgery, will return to action at UFC on Fox 6 this month against Donald Cerrone.
Since his win over Joe Lauzon last February, much has changed around the 155-pound division.
Benson Henderson is the champion, the same man Pettis defeated in the final WEC match. A new contender named Gilbert Melendez is entering the fold, and “Showtime” knows he needs to make a statement vs. Cerrone to secure himself a potential future title match.
“The division has advanced so much,” said Pettis, during a conference call recently. “Guys are advancing, guys are losing. I feel like I am one of the best and I am gonna go out there and prove it.”
Pettis (15-2) entered the UFC with a title shot in his future, but the belt was tied up between then-champion Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard. Pettis accepted a bout with Clay Guida while waiting, and was defeated. He has since rebounded to top both Lauzon and Jeremy Stephens, but will face another contender in Cerrone.
“Cerrone has been dominating guys the last year,” Pettis said. “Come January 26 it will be answered if I am at the top of the division still.”
Photo credit: Dave Mandel/Sherdog