When Nick Diaz took the microphone from Joe Rogan last year and announced his retirement from MMA, most felt it would never hold true.
That was thought was proven correct when Diaz signed to face Georges St-Pierre later this year at UFC 158.
The former Strikeforce welterweight champion was asked why he said he was retiring following the loss to Carlos Condit that kept him from earning the interim UFC welterweight title during a press conference on Wednesday.
“I didn’t think I would be getting this fight (with GSP),” Diaz said. “I figured they would probably stick me back with some hard fights, and I would have to work my way back into fights I wanted. I just looked at it as I needed time to see things out. I can’t really say much about that, but if you put the right fight in front of me, I am going to fight; I am a fighter.”
Diaz was also dealt a suspension for failing the post-fight drug test, as traces of marijuana were found in his system. He said the extra time off due to the suspension helped in allowing his body time to heal.
“I had to take a step back, give myself time to heal up, see what’s what,” Diaz said. “That’s all it’s been to me. I’ve always had to worry about my next fight. Georges, he fights maybe two time a year, I’ve never done that. I’ve been (fighting often) for a cool minute. I’ve never had time off.”