Now that Dan Henderson has entered free agency, having dropped three consecutive bouts in the UFC, there’s no shortage of discussion and speculation as to where the legendary fighter will end up. The 43 year-old fighter has already made it clear he will continue to fight, and that he wants to return to the UFC, but it remains to be seen what his future holds.
Due to the fact Henderson left the UFC for Strikeforce before, and that Bellator has signed several big name vets in recent months, some have wondered if the latter might come calling. After all, a rematch between “Rampage” Jackson and Henderson could be a big fight for the promotion right? Well, “Rampage” has already relayed he has zero interest in fighting the decorated wrestler again.While speaking to MMA Junkie.com about the possibility, here’s what Jackson had to say:
“Why would I be interested in having a rematch with Dan Henderson?” Jackson said. “I already beat him; I beat him for the unified titles. I beat him for the PRIDE title. He has no titles now. He sucks.”
Wow. Seems a little harsh no? Considering two of Henderson’s recent losses were to Rashad Evans and Lyoto Machida, and both were by split decision (Jackson is also coming off three defeats in a row). If you recall, Jackson beat Henderson by UD way back in 2007 at UFC 75. The bout marked the UFC return of “Hendo”, who was coming off a memorable KO win over Wanderlei Silva at PRIDE 33.
At the end of the day, it would be kind of surprising to see Henderson leave the UFC at this juncture anyways. Prior to his stoppage loss to Vitor Belfort last week, Henderson acknowledged that another defeat would undercut his bargaining power, so money may not be his first and foremost concern right now.
Jackson also relayed in the interview that he’s not interested in fighting Tito Ortiz anymore either. The 35 year-old says he’s “over” that fight. Of course, up next for “Rampage” is Joey Beltran, who he’ll battle at Bellator 108 Friday night.
Stay tuned to Fightline.com for all your UFC and Bellator news.