Tonight’s UFC on FOX 9 action kicked off with a seven fight preliminary card between FOX Sports 1 and Facebook. In tonight’s featured prelim, Ryan LaFlare edged former TUF champion Court McGee in a bloody and technical fight. In other opening action, Edson Barboza, Bobby Green, Zach Makovsky, Sam Stout, Abel Trujillo, and Alp Ozkilic all earned victories in tonight’s preliminary action.
LaFlare Defeats McGee in Bloodbath
Ryan LaFlare secured his second victory in 34-days by defeating TUF 11 champion Court McGee in a bloody fight on FOX Sports 1. LaFlare built up an early lead in rounds 1 and 2 with accurate striking and well-timed takedowns. While the short notice for LaFlare reared its head in the third, McGee was unable to secure the much needed finish to end the bout. LaFlare has now won all three of his UFC bouts, while McGee sees his two-fight win streak snapped.
Barboza Recovers to Best Castillo
Edson Barboza found himself in trouble tonight against Danny Castillo but the apt Brazilian weathered a ferocious storm to get the victory. Castillo appeared on the brink of victory in the first as he blasted Barboza and followed up with heavy shots in a round that appeared to be a clear 10-8. Barboza kept his composure however and roared back with his own mix of leg and body kicks in the final two rounds to draw the fight even on many people’s cards. Unfortunately for Castillo, two judges did not award a 10-8 in the first round and Barboza would be given his third straight victory.
Green Edges Healy
Strikeforce imports Bobby Green and Pat Healy clashed in an interesting meeting of styles tonight in Sacramento. While Healy kept up his trademark pressure throughout the fight, Green’s accurate “hit-and-run” tactics scored early and often throughout their fight. While the fight was closer than the scorecards, the judges saw the fight unanimously for Green. Green is now 3-0 in the UFC, while Healy has lost two straight.
- Former Bellator MMA bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky spoiled the flyweight debut of Scott Jorgensen with a solid short notice effort that could send Jorgensen out of the UFC.
- Cody McKenzie’s backstage antics were apparently more entertaining than his fourth loss in his last six fights. The fighter had to find shorts on site after forgetting his own, hence the price tag, and nearly threw up on himself in the back after having a few beers and shots after the fight.
- Abell Trujillo settled the score with Roger Bowling by destroying the fighter in the second round.
- Alp Ozkilic picked up a solid debut victory by defeating the tricky Darren Uyenoyama.
- Ryan LaFlare def. Court McGee via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Edson Barboza def. Danny Castillo via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Bobby Green def. Pat Healy via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Zach Makovsky def. Scott Jorgensen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Sam Stout def. Cody McKenzie via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Abel Trujillo def. Roger Bowling via TKO at 1:35 of Round 2
- Alp Ozkilic def. Darren Uyenoyama via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)