Tyron Woodley is holding UFC president Dana White true to his words.
Woodley, who faces Carlos Condit this Saturday at UFC 171, says White told everybody that the bout would determine the next contender to the belt. In the main event that night, Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler meet to decide the new champion.
“It came out of the boss’ mouth,” said Woodley, during a recent appearance on MMAjunkie Radio. “Speculation is one thing, but the boss says this is definitely the No. 1 contender fight.
“The winner of this gets (the shot at) the world title. I want no ifs, ands or buts about it. That’s what’s been told to me. That’s what I’m training for.”
Woodley (12-2) is a former NCAA Div. I All-American and knocked out Josh Koscheck last year. He has gone 2-1 since joining the UFC, also finishing Jay Hieron.
“I don’t even want people getting that buzz about ‘if’ out there,” he said about the title shot. “There’s no ‘if.’ This is a No. 1 contender fight.”