UFC president Dana White announced late Wednesday night that officials are moving ahead with Michael Bisping and the middleweight title.
But that does not include Georges St-Pierre.
White told FOX Sports out of Australia that Yoel Romero will challenge Bisping for the belt next after St-Pierre stated he would not be ready to return until late in 2017.
“I made this GSP fight, we did a press conference. The thing was supposed to happen in July. Michael Bisping is going to have to defend his title now. We’re not waiting for GSP,” White said. “(Yoel) doesn’t need to voice his opinion on why he needs a title shot. He definitely deserves a title shot. He’s next in line, he’s the No. 1 ranked guy in the world.
“Georges St-Pierre was coming back. Bisping-St-Pierre – they both wanted that fight. We asked Yoel to step aside, he did. It doesn’t look like that fight is gonna happen now. Georges St-Pierre is saying he will not be ready to compete now until November. Who knows if that’s even the case. It could be next year.”
GSP ended his MMA exile earlier this year, signing a new contract with the UFC and stating he planned to compete at middleweight after dominating the welterweight division for years. The UFC immediately announced St-Pierre as the next challenger to Bisping, but no date was ever set for the fight.