In case you missed tonight’s broadcast of EliteXC: Return of the King on Showtime, it was announced that EliteXC and CBS will in fact move forward with their second show in late July. Scott Smith and Robbie Lawler will headline the card in a rematch for the EliteXC Middleweight Championship.
Smith and Lawler first fought two weeks ago at EliteXC ‘Primetime’ on CBS which was turning out to be a classic fight reminiscent of Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar’s all out war at UFC’s TUF 1 Finale. The fight was even going into the third with Lawler and Smith each taking a round on the judges’ scorecards. Unfortunately, the fight came to an abrupt and anti-climatic end in the third when Lawyer accidentally poked Smith in the eye resulting in a no-contest.
No additional details were given on EliteXC’s second primetime network event, although Jake Shields and Antonio ‘Junior’ Silva are rumored to be fighting for the organization’s welterweight and heavyweight titles, respectively. With UFC 86 and Affliction ‘Banned’ already booked for earlier in the month, July is going to be a huge month with three major mixed martial arts events.
EliteXC: Return of the King results and wrap-up after the jump.
EliteXC: Return of the King Results and Wrap-up
‘Return of the King’ delivered a solid night of MMA action. KJ Noons defended his lightweight title against Yves Edwards with a quick TKO victory in the first round. Other winners on the televised card included Nick Diaz, Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua, Dave Herman and Rafeal Feijao.
The event did not end without without fireworks though. Nick Diaz, who has been vocal about wanting a rematch with KJ Noons after losing to Noons back in November 2007, entered the cage during Noon’s post-fight celebrations. It didn’t even take a minute before a brawl nearly broke out. It ended almost as quick as it started, but not without KJ’s father, a former fighter, finding himself across the cage grabbing Diaz for a split-second. Nick and his brother Nate quickly exited the cage likely setting up a rematch between Nick and KJ.
- KJ Noons defeats Yves Edwards via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Nick Diaz defeats Muhsin Corrbrey via TKO (Strikes) in Round Three
- Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua defeats Tony Bonello via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Dave Herman defeats Ron Waterman via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Rafael Feijao defeats Wayne Cole via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- PJ Dean vs. Dean Lista ends in a Majority Draw
- Mark Oshiro defeats Chris Willems via Submission (Triangle Choke) in Round One
- Mike Aina defeats Kaleo Kwan via Unanimous Decision
- Chris Bernard withdraws from fight against Lolohea Mahe due to an apparent sickness
- Russell Doane defeats Dwayne Haney via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Robert McDaniel defeats Kala Kolohe Hose via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in Round One
- Carl Barton defeats Kepa Madieros via TKO (Strikes) in Round One