It was no secret that Patrick Cote would get next crack at Anderson Silva’s middleweight title after Yushin Okami broke his hand. It was just a question of where and when. It had been rumored for one of three events—UFC 88, UFC 89 or UFC 90.
Well, that question has finally been answered as Dana White confirmed today that the Silva/Cote fight will happen at UFC 90 in Chicago on October 25.
The UFC told the Sun-Times on Friday that Anderson Silva would put his middleweight belt at stake against Patrick Cote to headline UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote at Allstate Arena on Oct. 25.
“Anderson Silva once again showed why he’s the greatest pound-for-pound fighter in the world when he moved up to light heavyweight and destroyed James Irvin,” White said. “Now he drops back down to middleweight to defend his world title against Patrick Cote, a fighter on a five-fight win streak [including one win outside of the UFC] with a style that guarantees an incredible fight, wherever it goes.
“There is no better way to introduce UFC to Chicago than with the championship fight between Anderson Silva and Patrick Cote.”
There you have it. Quite honestly, I’m having a hard time getting excited for this fight. Sure, anything can happen, but I doubt Patrick Cote is going to be the one to dethrone Anderson Silva. I don’t see this one lasting too long.