WEC 36 took place earlier this evening at The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida. The event was broadcast live on Versus.
Urijah Faber put his WEC Featherweight Championship on the line against Mike Brown.
WEC Middleweight Champ was scheduled to defend his title in a rematch against Chael Sonnen until he missed weight by an astounding seven pounds on his first attempt. The fight still took place, however, it was only a three-round non-title affair.
Jens Pulver looked to get back on the winning track against Leonard Garcia after coming up short against Faber earlier this year.
‘Razor’ Rob McCullough, Jake Rosholt, Donald Cerrone and Nissen Osterneck were also in action.
Results after the jump.
- Mike Brown defeats Urijah Faber via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Chael Sonnen defeats Paulo Filho via Unanimous Decision
- Leonard Garcia defeats Jens Pulver via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Jake Rosholt defeats Nissen Osterneck via TKO (Strikes) in Round Two
- Donald Cerrone defeats “Razor” Rob McCullough via Unanimous Decision
- Aaron Simpson defeats David Avellan via Knockout in Round One
- Jose Aldo defeats Jonathan Brookins via TKO (Strikes) in Round Three
- Carmelo Marrero defeats Steve Steinbeiss by Split Decision
- Danny Castillo defeats Rafael Dias via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Rani Yahya defeats Yoshiro Maeda via Submission (Guillotine Choke) in Round One
Leonard Garcia absolutely blasted Jens Pulver. Definitely didn’t see that coming the way it did. Looks like the WEC has a new title contender.
Filho vs. Sonnen II was steaming pile of you know what. Seriously, that fight was awful. Filho was fat, sluggish and looked like he just showed to collect his show money. It’s obvious his heart isn’t in fighting at the moment. If it’s he’s still having chemical dependency and depression problems, I really hope he gets those worked out before he steps into the Octagon. Chael Sonnen employed the stick and move, ‘elusive’ game plan which I actually don’t mind much when Machida employs it, but for some reason it just rubbed me the wrong way in this fight. I know Sonnen was being smart and doing everything possible not to get caught in a submission, but he could have brought it more to Filho on the feet. I never need to see those two fight each other again.
Wow, the featherweight king has been dethroned. I’ll be honest, leading up to the fight, I didn’t think Mike Brown had much of a chance but after the opening exchanges, I got this weird feeling that Urijah might get caught. Hats off to Brown, he just beat one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. Gotta love Faber too. He’s just as classy in defeat as he is in victory. It’s hard not to like that kid. I have no doubts he’ll be back in the hunt for that title very soon.
Submission of the Night: Rani Yahya
Knockout of the Night: Mike Brown
Fight of the Night: Donald Cerrone and Rob McCullough ($7,500 each)
Extra Bonus: Leonard Garcia
Live Gate & Attendance
Live gate: $563,578
Bonus and live gate info via MMA Weekly