Despite a public warning for a possible license revocation from CSAC Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas, it looks like Antonio Silva has decided to violate his steroid suspension and fight in Japan for Sengoku on Jan. 4 anyways. Sherdog’s Loretta Hunt has the story.
Antonio Silva has accepted an offer to face Yoshihiro Nakao at World Victory Road’s upcoming Sengoku event on Jan. 4 in Saitama, Japan, confirmed his manager Alex Davis on Sunday.
The American Top Team heavyweight’s decision comes in the wake of a letter received last week from California State Athletic Commission Assistant Executive Director Bill Douglas, who said he will recommend Silva’s license be revoked if he does not adhere to a suspension imposed on him last July.
The CSAC may not be the only ones Silva has to worry about. ProElite is apparently close to making some sort of “resurrection,” yet it appears Silva hasn’t even asked for their permission to fight elsewhere like others such as Scott Smith. If ProElite does indeed make an attempt at a comeback with new ownership, I doubt they’ll look favorably upon their heavyweight champ who violated his contract and is possibly looking at having his license thrown out the window. It would be a legitimate concern for some, but apparently not for Silva, as his manager Alex Davis tells Sherdog.
“There is no one in charge at Pro Elite,” wrote Davis. “All this talk of resurrection, although it would be great it is just talk. There are no events scheduled. Our agreement was that Antonio would be able to fight in other events, as long as they agreed, but there is no one there to agree.”
I certainly see Silva’s side of the story. If, in fact, he is innocent of the steroid charges based on the CSAC’s guidelines, I can understand why he would say the hell with them. And the ProElite issues? Well, obviously, every ProElite contracted fighter has every right to be upset with what’s gone down with them, but they could have at least tried to contact someone. The others didn’t talk to a ghost after all.
It’s definitely a risky move, one where the risk probably outweighs the reward, especially since Douglas seems intent on letting everyone know he’s turning the CSAC around. Don’t be surprised at all if they try to make an example out of Silva. However, if he needs the money, I guess he needs the money, although I’d love to know why he can’t turn a $200,000 check into a decent living for a year even after everything’s been deducted.
That said though, I really don’t have any sympathy for Silva. When it comes right down to it, he was at the very least taking a substance that basically had the same effects as steroids. Just because it wasn’t on the banned substance list doesn’t mean he wasn’t gaining an unfair advantage. The ridiculous part is, considering his opponent, Justin Eilers, it was an advantage he didn’t even need.