WEC 43 took place earlier this evening at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas. The event was broadcast live on Versus.
In the night’s main event, Donald Cerrone and Ben Henderson fought for the WEC Interim Lightweight Championship.
Dave Jansen took on Rich Crunkilton Jr. in a lightweight contest.
Rafael Assuncao and Yves Jabouin met in a featherweight bout.
Will Campuzano faced off against Damacio Page in a bantamweight match-up.
Results and thoughts after the jump.
- Benson Henderson defeats Donald Cerrone via Unanimous Decision
- Dave Jansen defeats Richard Crunkilton Jr. via Unanimous Decision
- Rafael Assuncao defeats Yves Jabouin via Split Decision
- Damacio Page defeats Will Campuzano via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round One
- Anthony Njokuani defeats Muhsin Corbbrey via TKO (Strikes) in Round Two
- Scott Jorgensen defeats Noah Thomas via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Mackens Semerzier defeats Wagnney Fabiano via Submission (Triangle Choke) in Round One
- Eddie Wineland defeats Manny Tapia via Unanimous Decision
- Charlie Valencia defeats Coty Wheeler via Unanimous Decision
- Deividas Taurosevicius defeats Javier Vazquez via Split Decision
Will Campuzano vs. Damacio Page: No feeling out process here. Page and Campuzano came out like two balls of fire swinging for the fences. Moments later they ended up on the ground, Page got Campuzano’s back and secured the rear-naked choke for the win.
Rafael Assuncao vs. Yves Jabouin: Pretty good fight between Assuncao and Jabouin. It was pretty close on the feet, though Jabouin seemed to land more. It was all Assuncao on the ground. He attempted a handful of chokes but couldn’t finish. The judges were all over the place, one gave it to Assuncao 30-27 while another had it 30-27 Jabouin. The third judge gave it to Assuncao 29-28 which earned him the split decision.
Dave Jansen vs. Richard Crunkilton Jr.: Jansen and Crunkilton fought their hearts out for three rounds. Crunkilton looked better on the feet and had a few submission attempts but ultimately Jansen’s countless takedowns earned him the decision.
Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson: Is it possible to submit Ben Henderson? If it is, Donald Cerrone wasn’t able to do it. Cowboy put Henderson in countless chokes and various arm and shoulder locks, but somehow Henderson was able to survive every single one. Despite all the submission attempts, it turned out to be a fairly close fight that was ultimately decided by one round. Henderson’s relentless takedowns seemed to be the difference. He never let Cerrone get comfortable on his feet and forced him to fight off his back for most of the fight. Henderson takes the interim title and earns himself a title shot against Jamie Varner possibly as soon as December. Cerrone will have to wait till later next year to settle the score with Varner.
Bonuses $10,000 & $20,000
Submission of the Night: Mackens Semerzier ($10,000)
Knockout of the Night: Anthony Njokuani ($10,000)
Fight of the Night: Donald Cerrone & Ben Henderson ($20,000 each)
Bonuses via MMA Junkie