DREAM.15 took place earlier this morning at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The following fights from the card can be found in the playlist above. Quick recap and results after the jump.
- Shinya Aoki vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
- Katsunori Kikuno vs. Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante
- Gegard Mousasi vs. Jake O’Brien
- Tatsuya Mizuno vs. Melvin Manhoef
- Michihiro Omigawa vs. Young Sam Jung
Shinya Aoki redeemed himself from his awful performance against Gilbert Melendez with a relatively quick submission victory over Tatsuya Kawajiri, and he didn’t even need his magic grappling pants to do it. Aoki shot in early on Kawajiri. He wasn’t able to secure the takedown but he got a hold of Kawajiri’s ankle and never let go. Kawajiri tried to work he way out of it, but Aoki eventually got the leverage he needed and tapped Kawajiri out with an Achilles lock. Aoki hinted at a rematch with Gilbert Melendez this fall in his post-fight speech.
JZ Cavalcante broke a two-fight losing streak in his first fight since May of last year with a split decision victory over Katsunori Kikuno. Kikuno edged out JZ on the feet in the first round, but JZ finished strong in the second threatening with Kikiuno with multiple submission attempts.
After King Mo outwrestled Gegard Mousasi to win the Strikeforce light heavyweight title in April, many wondered if Jake O’Brien would be able to do the same. He certainly tried, but he didn’t have as much luck as King Mo. O’Brien shot in immediately after the opening bell, but Mousasi defended well and locked in a tight standing guillotine for the quick 31 second victory.
In the other half of the 4-man light heavyweight tournament, Tatsuya Mizuno pulled off the upset against Melvin Manhoef. He avoided Manhoef’s onslaught early and managed to rock Manhoef in a wild exchange later in the round. With Manhoef on his back stuck in the corner, Mizuno ripped off a few shots and tapped Manhoef out with a kimura.
- Shinya Aoki defeats Tatsuya Kawajiri via Submission (Achilles lock) in Round One
- Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante defeats Katsunori Kikuno via Split Decision
- Gegard Mousasi defeats Jake O’Brien via Submission (Standing Guillotine) in Round One
- Tatsuya Mizuno defeats Melvin Manhoef via Submission (Kimura) Round One
- Michihiro Omigawa defeats Young Sam Jung via Submission (Guillotine Choke) in Round One
- Mitsuhiro Ishida defeats Daiki “DJ.taiki” Hata via Unanimous Decision
- Kazuhiro Nakamura defeats Karl Amoussou via Unanimous Decision