The UFC 118 weigh-ins took place this earlier today at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.
All fighters made weight including Gabe Ruediger who Dana White infamously kicked off TUF 5 for eating ice cream cake and not making weight. Speaking of Gabe, he presented Joe Lauzon with a cake that read “Sorry for your loss.” Joe didn’t really seem sure how to take it, but smiled nonetheless.
Dana White mentioned in several interviews that James Toney lost a lot of weight and got himself in shape since their first meeting. Well, I’m not sure how heavy Toney was then, but he weighed in today at 237 looking a little soft. Not quite as soft as someone like Roy Nelson, but let’s just say Fedor Emelianenko would look fit standing next to Toney. Conversely, BJ Penn, who’s been known to show up to fights looking a little soft himself, appeared to be in better shape than he was in Abu Dhabi when he first fought Frankie Edgar. We’ll see how that factors into their performances tomorrow night.
Also of note, the Boston crowd is clearly behind BJ Penn and Randy Couture. Frankie Edgar was showered with boos and Randy Couture walked on stage to chants of “Randy! Randy!” Apparently, the only chants James Toney received were chants of “Subtitles” when Joe Rogan interviewed him.
For additional UFC 118 weigh-ins coverage, check out the ESPN MMA Live UFC 118 weigh-ins special.
The weigh-in results:
- Frankie Edgar (154) vs. B.J. Penn (154)
- Randy Couture (220) vs. James Toney (237)
- Kenny Florian (156) vs. Gray Maynard (156)
- Marcus Davis (170) vs. Nate Diaz (171)
- Demian Maia (184) vs. Mario Miranda (185)
- Joe Lauzon (156) vs. Gabe Ruediger (155)
- Nik Lentz (155) vs. Andre Winner (154)
- Dan Miller (185) vs. John Salter (185)
- Nick Osipczak (171) vs. Greg Soto (170)
- Mike Pierce (171) vs. Amilcar Alves (171)
Fighters in non-title fights are allowed to weigh in one pound over the weight class limit.
UFC 118 “Edgar vs. Penn 2” will take place tomorrow, August 28, at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachuesetts and will air live on pay-per-view at 10PM ET/7PM PT.