Bellator 33 took place earlier this evening at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez took on Roger Huerta in a non-title fight. In the welterweight division, Lyman Good put his title on the line against Ben Askren.
Results and recap after the jump.
Eddie Alvarez further cemented his status as one of the sport’s top tier lightweights tonight against a very tough Roger Huerta. Alvarez set the tone of the fight with a thunderous leg kick to Huerta’s inner thigh that had him wobbling early. Alvarez attacked, attacked, attacked from there on out, ripping Huerta with big shots to the head and body. Huerta fought back like he always does which made for a fun fight, but save for a moment when he clipped Alvarez late in the first and took him down in the second, Huerta seemed to be one step behind Alvarez the entire fight. By the end of the second round, Huerta’s face was cut up and his left eye was swollen nearly shut. Recognizing Huerta wasn’t able to see, the doctor stopped the fight between the second and third rounds. It was a very decisive and equally impressive win for the Bellator champ. His performance tonight is only going to make the calls for the Gilbert Melendez fight that much louder. Whether Strikeforce will answer them is the question.
In welterweight title fight action, challenger Ben Askren used his Olympic wrestling to dominate Lyman Good on the ground for the majority of the fight. Good nearly pulled off the come-from-behind victory late in the fight with a vicious upkick that laid Askren out, but he wasn’t able to fully capitalize and finish him off. The fight went to the judges’ scorecard who awarded Askren an unanimous decision victory and the Bellator welterweight title.
- Eddie Alvarez defeats Roger Huerta via TKO (Doctor’s Stoppage) end of Round Two
- Ben Askren defeats Lyman Good via Unanimous Decision (49-46, 48-47, 50-45)
- Rick Hawn defeats LeVon Maynard via TKO (Strikes) in Round One
- Tim Carpenter defeats Jamal Patterson via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Kenny Foster defeats Lester Caslow via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Luiz Azeredo defeats Eduardo Guedes via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Wilson Reis defeats Deividas Taurosevicius via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Nick Cottone defeats Tuan Pham via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Fran Evans def Lewis Cassner via Submission (Triangle Choke) in Round One