Every once in awhile you get a fight that just doesn’t want to work out. After a planned match-up between Wanderlei Silva and Brian Stann was initially reported, Dana White told a group of soldiers at a Q&A session last month that Silva wasn’t interested in the fight and they were having a tough time convincing him otherwise. Then all of a sudden, it was revealed on the UFC’s Ultimate Insider web show that Silva-Stann was official for UFC 130. But not so fast, now MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani is reporting that the fight was never actually signed and isn’t going to happen on Memorial Day Weekend.
Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann is not official for UFC 130 after all.
In fact, it appears as though the fight won’t be happening any time soon.
Earlier this week, UFC.com’s Ultimate Insider reported that the middleweight clash was signed for Memorial Day weekend. However, a UFC source with knowledge of the situation told MMA Fighting on Friday that the fight was never signed and that Silva has informed the organization that he won’t be healthy enough to compete on the card.
It’s unclear if the fight will be rescheduled for a later date, or if Stann will still fight at UFC 130 against a different opponent, though given Wand’s reservations about fighting him, the latter seems more likely at this point.
Even without Wand though, UFC 130 is still going to be a huge card. Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III, Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson, Rampage Jackson vs. Thiago Silva, Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story and Travis Browne vs. Stefan Struve are all official fights for UFC 130.
Image via Dave Mandel for Sherdog
Update: Dana White told reporters this fight is back on once again for UFC 130. Hes still convincing Wand that everyone won’t hate him if he fights Stann, but says “it’s on.”