The UFC 128 weigh-ins took place this afternoon at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.
All fighters made weight.
Jon Jones took the stage like a man possessed. He’s clearly hyped up and emotional for tomorrow night’s fight. Meanwhile, Shogun came up to scale calm, cool and collected like he’s done this a hundred times before. Jones struck the same pose in the staredown as we saw earlier this week and at UFC 126, but he didn’t get in Shogun’s face like attempted to the other day at the press conference. When Joe Rogan asked Shogun about Jones signing his autographs “Champ 2011,” Shogun once again called it “disrespectful.” Jones merely said he’s going to “execute the situation” when he gets in the cage tomorrow night.
Urijah Faber looked completely dehydrated, like every ounce of water weight in his body had been sucked out of him. He still made weight though and the cut didn’t affect his performance against Takeya Mizugaki at WEC 52 last year, so I’m sure he’ll be fine tomorrow.
Also of note, Mirko Cro Cop looked noticeably fitter than we’ve seen him in previous fights. I don’t know what that means, if anything, but regardless, he’ll still be at a significant size disadvantage tomorrow night. Brendan Schaub looked pretty big next to him.
The weigh-in results:
- Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (205) vs. Jon Jones (205)
- Urijah Faber (135.5) vs. Eddie Wineland (135.5)
- Nate Marquardt (186) vs. Dan Miller (185)
- Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (229) vs. Brendan Schaub (245)
- Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Kamal Shalorus (155)
- Luiz Cane (205.5) vs. Eliot Marshall (205)
- Edson Barboza (155.5) vs. Anthony Njokuani (155)
- Ricardo Almeida (170) vs. Mike Pyle (171)
- Kurt Pellegrino (156) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)
- Joseph Benavidez (136) vs. Ian Loveland (135)
- Nick Catone (194) vs. Costantinos Philippou (195)
- Erik Koch (145) vs. Raphael Assuncao (145)
Fighters in non-title fights are allowed to weigh in one pound over the weight class limit.
UFC 128 “Shogun vs. Jones” will take place tomorrow, March 19, at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey and will air live on pay-per-view at 10PM ET/7PM PT.