The UFC 137 weigh-ins took place earlier this evening at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
It was definitely an interesting weigh-in. First, Tyson Griffin, who was making his second cut to featherweight, missed weight by three pounds. He was given an hour to drop the weight, but didn’t look too excited about it. That far off, I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t even try. Update: Griffin was only able to drop one pound. He was fined 25% of his purse and his fight will take place at a 148 lbs. catchweight.
Then Roy Nelson comes out… in a fat suit! No sneak peak at Nelson’s physique today, but the numbers don’t lie. Nelson came in eight pounds lighter than he did at UFC 130 in May.
And last but not least, BJ Penn and Nick Diaz damn near went at it right on stage. Diaz, like he does with every opponent, got up in Penn’s face and the next thing you know they’re butting heads and Dana White is jumping in to break them up. Not sure if something happened behind the scenes beforehand, but given the mutual respect they seemed to have for each other leading up to the fight, no one was expecting a hostile stare down.
The weigh-in results:
- BJ Penn (169) vs. Nick Diaz (170)
- Cheick Kongo (234) vs. Matt Mitrione (255)
- Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (235) vs. Roy Nelson (252)
- George Roop (145) vs. Hatsu Hioki (145)
- Jeff Curran (134) vs. Scott Jorgensen (135)
- Donald Cerrone (156) vs. Dennis Siver (155)
- Tyson Griffin (149) vs. Bart Palaszewski (146)
- Eliot Marshall (204) vs. Brandon Vera (205)
- Danny Downes (155) vs. Ramsey Nijem (155)
- Chris Camozzi (185) vs. Francis Carmont (185)
- Dustin Jacoby (185) vs. Clifford Starks (186)
Fighters in non-title fights are allowed to weigh in one pound over the weight class limit.
UFC 137 “Penn vs. Diaz” will take place tomorrow, Oct. 29, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada and will air live on pay-per-view at 9pm ET/6pm PT.
More UFC 137 weigh-in pics at CombatLifestyle.com.