Chris Weidman will finally get his chance to dethrone Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title this Fourth of July Weekend in Las Vegas.

Weidman, unbeaten in his MMA career, believes he only received the next shot at “The Spider” after a loss by Rashad Evans.

“It actually got down to me and Rashad. I was with Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta and they said, ‘Listen, it’s going to be between you and Rashad,'” said Weidman, during a Q&A session last week. “And Rashad ended up losing.”

Evans lost to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, and Weidman moved right into the No. 1 spot. “The All-American” hasn’t fought since a knockout victory over Mark Munoz last year, as surgery sidelined him for several months.

“I was doing an appearance in New Jersey and was like, ‘It’s me. I got it,’ (when Evans lost),” Weidman said. “But they still weren’t saying they were going to fight me, so I just relaxed. And all of a sudden I was in New York and Lorenzo said, ‘By the way, I spoke to Anderson. You’re going to fight him July 6.'”

It’s interesting to hear Weidman talk about the behind-the-scenes working, especially considering Evans was playing very coy in regards to a move to middleweight.