Following a submission loss to Demian Maia last year, Carlos Condit stated that he felt the time was right to walk away from MMA and competitive fighting.
Condit, a former interim UFC welterweight champion, took his sabbatical, taking in other activities before returning to training. Once he did that, he felt rejuvenated and ready to fight again.
“The Natural Born Killer” will meet Neil Magny Saturday night at UFC 219 from Las Vegas and the T-Mobile Arena.
“I started training and things were clicking, so I wanted to give it another try,” Condit said. “I started picking up some new things and honestly I just wanted to try out what I was learning. I’m continuing to improve, and if I’m still getting better, maybe I’m not done yet.”
Condit (30-10) is just 1-3 over his last four and 2-5 since a 2012 victory over Nick Diaz to claim the interim UFC title. In Magny, he’ll be taking on a fighter with wins over Johny Hendricks, Hector Lombard and Kelvin Gastelum since 2015, going 6-3 during that time.
“Neil’s been calling me out for a long time and I know it is going to be an exciting fight for the fans,” he said. “He has great cardio and is an all-around good fighter. I’m excited to get in there and show what I’ve been working on.”
Asked about the differences from when he first entered the Octagon in 2009 to today, Condit noted Michael Bisping and other fighters who are “out there” more. The Jackson-Wink MMA fighter has always taken the approach of letting his fighting skills do the talking for him inside the Octagon and not hyping up himself or his bout.
“The guys who bring a lot of personality are more out there,” Condit said. “There are more of you all.”
UFC 219 features Cris Cyborg defending her female featherweight title against Holly Holm.